Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Paying it Forward

Another lady at work has cancer.  Unlike the first lady that I mentioned several posts ago, this lady has to work in between her treatments.  For both ladies we took up a collection and for one of them we also prepared meals for her family.  I contributed on all three counts.  I would like to believe that if it was me then my co-workers would do the same.  In the back of my head, I wondered if I wasn't paying it forward.  If my contributions were actually an investment for the assistance I'll receive when whatever is looming in my future actually strikes.

A friend of mine coordinated a big fundraiser for her brother-in-law who needs a transplant.  I got my book club to contribute a basket for the auction.  Again - I'm thinking about paying it forward.  Does that make me less charitable?

That reminds me about the episode of Friends when Phoebe and one of the guys was arguing about there is no truly selfless act.  If doing charity work makes you feel good then it's not selfless.  I think they tried to do something they didn't enjoy and wound up getting a free t-shirt.  So maybe I don't feel so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment