Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Getting Impatient

It's been nine months since I was first warned about July 12, 2017.  I'm starting to feel a little impatient.
I know the final date is almost three years away still.  And I certainly don't want to spend the next three years fighting cancer or battling some other evil only to wind up dying anyway.  My greatest hope is that I will enjoy every moment of every day and, if I don't win the lottery or receive some other fabulous blessing on July 12th, then that I might expire quietly in my sleep.

But I am getting a little anxious for more details.

Several months ago I had some routine lab work done and it had some abnormalities so my doctor wanted to re-test.  I did the second set of labs and the nurse called to schedule a follow-up.  I do labs twice a year so I've gotten these type of calls before.  This time, though, I thought I detected a hint of seriousness.

I went to my appointment expecting to receive a hemophilia or leukemia diagnosis.  I walked out with a diagnosis of Gilbert's Disease/Syndrome.  It's really a whole lot of nothing.  I might display symptoms of jaundice, I mights have abnormal lab results, and because of it I actually have a lower risk of Coronary Artery Disease.

So - I'm still left wondering, and trying to remember that it is a blessing.  Ignorance is bliss, as "they" say.

No comments:

Post a Comment