Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I Got the Car

My old car was going to need about $5000 worth of work.  Because my child's school and my job are in a different town 30 miles from where we live it's difficult to schedule time at the mechanic without the additional expense of renting a car.  And the thought of breaking down along the way, where there is often no cell phone coverage, with a 9 year old child with me was not a good idea.  Plus, a new car is something that, once the idea takes root in your head and you pick a model and a color, it's hard to abandon.

So I got a Toyota.  The finance manager who was leading us through all the titling papers talked about how he's seen Toyota's with 300,000 miles on them - so this may be the last car I ever buy.  Those words sounded  a lot different to me than he probably intended them to.  Then he tried to sell me an extended warranty that would last six years.  The absurdity was all through my head.  I may not even make it through the 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty.  (Well, I'll hit the miles before I'd hit the years anyway - unless an upcoming illness causes me to change my driving habits.)

Regardless, I will definitely enjoy whatever driving time I have left much more in a worry-free vehicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment