Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Roadside Boxes

I often wonder about the boxes I see on the side of the road.  What's in them?  Could be trash.  Could be someone else's gross junk.  Could be something valuable.  I often wish I had more time or was more daring and actually stopped to check them out. 

I think it would be interesting to make a New Year's resolution to always leave early and take time to stop.  But if it was trash, then what would I do?  It would feel wrong to just leave it there.  Even though it wasn't mine to begin with, if I'm willing to claim something cool I think I would feel obligated to be responsible for the trash too.  This would be a good time for a pickup truck.

Of course, safety is a concern.  I should only stop on country roads, not highways.

If I'm going to do this, I'd better start soon.  If I start doing this, what will I do on 7/12/17?  If I'm going to have lunch with my kids on my potential last day on earth, and I pass a box, and I stop and die because somebody runs me over. . .  Or, what if I decide not to risk it THAT day, and unknowingly pass something REALLY valuable that could change my life.  But not stopping and saving my life would be a greater value than anything I could find.

One might say then why stop at all if it is a risk to my life.  I don't know if I will - but I sort of feel like a have somewhat of a free pass until 7/12/17.  I mean, within reason - I'm not going to go stand in front of a train or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment