Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Pre-Diabetic

I went to the doctor the last month for a regularly scheduled medicine check.  Based on my lab work he said I'm pre-diabetic and should cut back on sugar and carbs.  On my way home I was running errands and was hungry so, pre-diabetes fully on my mind, I ate a bag of Cheetos.  Then I met my kids at Starbucks and went full-on Eggnog Latte Frappucino.  

Honestly I felt a little depressed that I'm going to HAVE to change my diet.  I've made lots of dietary changes because I wanted to, but never because I had to.  I mean, I don't HAVE to.  But I DON'T WANT to get into full-blown diabetes.  I've seen several people, including two in-laws, loose appendages and limbs to that horrible disease.

I've said before, I'm a wimp.  I definitely don't want to go through dialysis or even sticking my finger to check my blood sugar.  I did that when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes and I reached my limit of finger pricking.

On the other hand, I don't want to die from complications of untreated diabetes.  I mean, hasn't that been a large part of this blog - me not wanting to die too soon.  So obviously if I can prolong my life by making some basic diet changes, I will do it.  I can do it.  I've been dabbling in nutrition for several years so I know I CAN do it.  But I don't WANT to do it.  Or, more rather, I don't WANT to HAVE to.

No comments:

Post a Comment