Wednesday, November 2, 2016

How to Save a Life

The Fray came out with their song "How to Save a Life" in 2005.  If you look at the lyrics it seems more like it is about a relationship ending than actually saving a life.  The two lines that stick with me in this song and that are often repeated throughout the song are:

And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

I actually can't hear this song without tears coming to my eyes.   It's funny because the person I did know that I did stay up with many nights trying to save his life, died in 2000 - well before this song came out.  So there are no shared memories that come flooding back when I hear this song.  I don't feel guilty about not saving his life on that final night.  (Not that I had a choice.)  The words just really touch me.

Actually, when the song first came out I would cry bunches when it came on the radio (usually while driving).  I would immediately change the station but I still knew the song was playing on the original station and so it was still on my mind and I would still cry. 

Now it feels like an automatic response - song comes on, I cry.  But I cry a lot less now.  The other day I actually listed to the song all the way through.  I think I only had about four tear drops leak out.

I don't really know what the point of this post is other than catharsis.  It doesn't directly relate to my future appointment on 7/12/17 although I suppose I could ponder what songs might make my loved ones cry after I'm gone.  But, who knows, the songs that make them cry may not even come out until 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment