Monday, December 1, 2014

Two Schools of Thought

In 1988 my dad had a heart attack.  A man who was not overweight by even a pound, ran three miles every day and never even had so much as a cold.  He was so health conscious that he was actually at the clinic to get his blood pressure checked and when they took it they told him he was having a heart attack right at that moment.

He had surgery, and went on a strict diet.  He lost a lot of weight but he wasn't enjoying food anymore. Gradually he went back to his old eating habits.  He told me he'd rather enjoy the days he has left than prolong his days with an unenjoyable life style.

26 years later he's still going.

I've often contemplated the dilemma of prolonging vs. enjoying and I expect I'll be contemplating it much more often in the next few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment