Tuesday, December 23, 2014

How I'm Spending the Holidays

After this year I may have only two Christmases left on earth.   In truth that statement could apply to anyone since nobody really knows.  I wanted to be intentional in how I spent my time this season. 

I feel like these are the years and especially the Christmases my nine year old will remember.  It is still a magical time to him. Three Christmases from now he may be saying, "I remember how mom always .... at Christmas".

So instead of rushing around and doing all the society things (except for the pageant - we had to do that one) I'm not baking cookies or going overboard with decorations or present buying.  It's not too late for a new tradition - we picked out a Christmas themed puzzle at Wal-mart and are working it in the living room.  I remember working puzzles with my relatives when we would get together for the holidays and I wanted to pass that on to him (even though no relatives are visiting.)  Also, a friend gave me a hot beverage maker so we are enjoying lots of hot cocoa (the kid) and tea (me).  Every day at 2 p.m. we make hot beverages and read while we drink them curled up on the sofa.  After that we work on the puzzle together until 4 p.m.

"Christmas traditions aren't trivial, they brighten the darkest months of the year."  (Nancy Atherton, Aunt Dimity's Christmas)

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment