Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Getting Picked for the Team

A lot of times when someone dies humans comfort themselves or others by reasoning that God needed another angel.  So, in a sense, it's like God chose the deceased for His team - He called them up from the minor leagues.

When I was a kid, in playground games or PE class, I was always one of the last to be called.  And it made me sad.  So why is it that now, when God might choose me for his 2017 line up, I feel sad.  Now that I might be picked for the team - suddenly I don't want to be on the team.  I'd be happy staying in the minor league.

If I am envious of anything it is Paul's ability to see life and death as equally good:

Philippians 1:21For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
 22If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!
 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;
24Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment