Sunday, December 28, 2014

Why Do We Fight?

Our priest starts off each Sunday's talk with a joke.  One Sunday it went something like this:  An older couple had followed a healthy diet all their life, low fat, low calorie, etc.  When they died and went to Heaven and saw the great banquet feast prepared to welcome them with all its fattening, rich foods they said, If only we hadn't been so healthy down on earth we could have been here enjoying this so much sooner!

Which could beg the question, if our ultimate goal is to get to Heaven, why do we do so much to preserve our life on earth?

Author William Paul Young in "Cross Roads" explains it this way, "life is the normal and death the anomaly...[we] were never designed or created for death, so by nature [we] fight it".

That idea makes me feel a little better.  We were designed for relationship with God.  I recognize that my personality does not seek change for changes sake.  I'm not the type that always seeks the next adventure or the latest-greatest tech gadget; I'm more the "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" type.

I can certainly recognize that my relationship with God could be immensely better, but it's not in my nature to want to take it to the next level (as in Creed's "Higher" song).

No comments:

Post a Comment