Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Meet Joe Black

I saw the movie "Meet Joe Black" in 2000 and instantly loved the movie and purchased a copy to own - which was not a commitment I took lightly.  Fourteen years later we hardly ever use our DVD player, especially since we now have a DVR on the satellite.  So I recorded the movie and watched it again to see why it fascinated me so the first time.

The premise of the movie is that "Death" has whispered to Bill Parrish, a successful business man with two lovely daughters.  Bill is a widow and his 65th birthday is just days away.  He hears a voice one night saying "yes".  The next day in his office he is struck with chest pains and has a conversation with the voice.  One of his daughters has been dating a young man named Drew.  While Bill and his daughter were flying into the city that morning he was encouraging her to make sure if Drew wasn't the one that she find the guy who was as incredible as a lightning strike.  So while he's on his knees in his office, she is in a coffee shop meeting the young man played by Brad Pitt.  They really connect, have some great conversation, but never exchange names.  When they part there is a series of he looks back as she's walking away, then she looks back as he's walking away, and back and forth until she rounds a corner and he takes one last look while standing in the middle of the street.  (Obviously not a wise idea, especially when "Death" is lurking close by.)

So "Death" takes the body of Brad Pitt and reveals himself to Bill in the flesh.  In exchange for a few extra days of living, Bill agrees to show "Death" what this life thing is all about.  Obviously they can't tell anyone the real reason "Death" is hanging around so they become very elusive - only saying that his name is Joe Black.  Imagine the daughter's surprise when she comes home for dinner and finds the young man there.

Their love grows which, to say the least, Bill is not pleased about.  He tries to threaten "Death" but obviously "Death" has the upper hand.  The next day, when "Death" tells Bill that they will also be taking his daughter with them, he tries a different approach and explains that if he really loves her he wouldn't want to hurt her.  I really loved how the father took such a strong stand to protect his daughter, even if he pissed off "Death" and wound up dying sooner.  It was a little difficult to reconcile though - because as a parent I want to protect my children from experiencing my death because I love them and don't want them to hurt.  So I expected Bill to try and make a deal to live longer.  I could even rationalize that if he let "Death" take the daughter then she wouldn't be grieving her dad's death and would be with the one she loved.

Of course, since it is scripted, Bill had the perfect last moments with his daughters.  He said just the right things and said them so eloquently.  Conceivably Bill had time to think about it even though the viewer never saw him putting any thought to it.  Maybe I should start now - gathering my thoughts.  I know there are people who even make videos and such, especially if their children are really young.  I think there is so much I'd want to say I don't know if I could ever finalize the copy.  I might just wind up saying something like, "Well, it's been nice knowing you - see you on the other side."  But I hope I can go out like Bill.

In the end, "Death" learned about love and acted accordingly.  Really a nice movie - makes me cry every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment