Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Knitting Baby Blankets

About 7 years ago when my youngest started pre-school I took a job in a craft store just to fill some of my time.  Having had previous experience with knitting and needle work I was assigned to the Yarn department.  So all day long I arranged fabulous yarns and pattern books and such and got first chance at items when they got marked down for clearance.

Around that time a friend had a baby and I wanted to make a blanket for her.  It occurred to me that having a stock pile of hand made blankets might be wise for other such occasions as well as when my oldest children start having their own children.

As a result I now have a closet in my back room that is half full of all the ingredients to make several beautiful baby blankets.  Thank goodness I only worked at the store for 4 1/2 months!  It was like a buffet - my eyes were definitely bigger than my stomach (or in this case my amount of free time).  But I figure as the years go on and times change, I'll have projects to work on even when in retirement I may not have the income to fund them.  Sort of like my bookshelf filled with books I want to read.  Sometimes I wonder if my eyes and hands will hold out as I age but until now my yarn surplus has been simply getting ahead in preparing entertainment for retirement.

Recently it occurred to me that it might be wise to step up the knitting because it might wind up to be more of leaving a legacy than getting prepared and working ahead.  Yet, even after that insight I really haven't found much time for it.  I keep coming up with other things that I need or want to do - study to become a teacher, couponing, reading, family activities, etc.  And let's not even mention how far behind I am on scrapbooking!  It must be a rare person who can say at the end of their life that they are ready - they did it all and there is nothing left they want to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment