Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Just Call Me Martha

In church one Sunday the priest read the passage about Martha, sister of Lazarus, talking with Jesus about Lazarus being dead.  (ref. John 11:20+)  I've heard this passage often and the discussion is always about the symbolism of death and resurrection.

On this particular Sunday, however, it occurred to me that there was a whole piece that nobody ever talks about.  Martha admits understanding that Lazarus will go to Heaven.  She obviously believes in Jesus.  But she is rather annoyed that Jesus let him die.  In v. 21-22 she tells Jesus that if He'd been there Lazarus would still be alive and reminds Him that God will do whatever Jesus asks of Him.

The underlying implication being that she is asking Jesus to raise Lazarus from the dead.

Aha!  I am not the only woman who struggles with wanting more time on earth.  Even though I know Heaven is an awesome place and ultimately that is the goal of life - I don't want July 12, 2017 to be the end of my life.  I want lots more time.  Just as Martha wanted for her brother.

It's one thing for me to want to postpone my Heavenly journey but imagine if your sibling said you couldn't go to Heaven yet because they still wanted you here.  That seems a little selfish, and then to say that right to Jesus' face!

So I take from this that it is completely okay that I'm not gung ho about going to Heaven whenever my time may be up because since the beginning of time women had such feelings.  AND - most importantly, I should take my desires to God.  Just as Lazarus got more time with his family, I might also if I only ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment