Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Grandchildren

Since I've been off for the summer, I've been trying to clean out closets and such.  When my oldest children were young I had saved some of their best toys and imagined that one day I would pass them on to their children.  Somehow those boxes got lost in a move...but this summer I found myself packing away some special toys and blankets I knitted for my youngest and some of my favorite clothes that he wore, thinking that one day I would enjoy caring for and playing with his children using those items.

You know, classic toys like Lincoln Logs and big chunky plastic cars with no batteries, games I made for him myself - customized to his life/world/preferences.  Things that I would have loved to see from my parents childhood.

A few times I had to push away the little voice that wanted to shake me and scream at me, "Why are you doing all this - you're not going to have grandchildren in the next three years and after you die this is all going to get thrown away by people who don't share the same nostalgia."
  

No comments:

Post a Comment