Thursday, August 28, 2014

Am I Good Enough?

I try very hard not to be any kind of "-ist" (agist, sexist, racist).  I often fall into stereo-typical thinking though.  

Like diabetes.  My stereotype of diabetics is that they are negative, pessimistic people.  I have known several diabetics who just don't take care of themselves and then get on dialysis and behave as if they are the most unfortunate creature on an earth who conspires against them. I don't say it but I think to myself that they could have avoided their situation with some proper health management.

And then there is breast cancer.  My stereotype of breast cancer patients is that they are upbeat, positive, strong and courageous.  They champion the cause and fight valiantly.  They herald their faith and through their outlook bring others closer to Christ.

I often wonder if I could rise to the challenge of breast cancer and be as upbeat and positive as those I have observed.  I tend to think I would not.  I think I would cower in fear.  So then I think maybe I won't get breast cancer because I probably wouldn't be a good servant to God through that battle.  Maybe I'll get diabetes instead because I know I can manage my diet and encourage others to do the same.  

Of course, this is just my perception of things.  I know that God will use me as He will.  And I really can't be proud of the fact that, if things went according to my ideas, I would get a lesser disease because I wouldn't be a good enough example to get the really challenging disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment