Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Last Chances

Normally I am not a huge soccer fan.  I like the sport but I don't actively follow it.  Until it is a World Cup year.  Then I pay a little attention.  Sort of like I don't watch the SPURS until they get in the playoffs.  And then I only feel the need to tune in for the last few minutes of the game.

But - back to soccer.  My favorite soccer team in the world is Brasil.  So I have been loving the World Cup this summer. Having lived in Brasil as an exchange student and still keeping in touch with "family" and friends there - I have felt more connected to them this summer than normal.  Watching the soccer games and knowing they are happening in Brasil, seeing the scenes from Copacabana, the streets I have been on - it's like a little vacation in my mind.

Additionally, I threw my hat in the Sports Authority Bracket Challenge and actually won a $250 gift card in the group stage for doing well with my picks.  But once the competition got to the quarter finals the Challenge turned into an actual bracket.  So I picked Brasil to line up against Costa Rica in the finals.

Well - my bracket is busted all to heck.  Today was the day Brasil lost 7 - 1 to Germany.
I felt for the Brasilian fans in the stadium with tears running down their faces.  I wanted to be there to console my friends - and I wanted them to console me.

And then I realized - I may never see another World Cup.  Because it only happens every 4 year - this is it.  If 7/12/17 happens like I think it will - I will go to my grave never seeing my beloved team vanquish this great loss.  I'm sure I will still rest easy in eternity - but it is strange to think I may have experienced the first "last time". 

In 4 days it will be 3 years away.  It still seems far off - but if I'm already experiencing a "last time" then it feels like things are just going to roll quickly from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment