Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Chasing Life

There's a new show on ABC Family called Chasing Life with Italia Ricci.  I saw commercials for it a few months ago - a young lady discovers she has cancer and, therefore, Chases Life.  I set it to record all shows but I let four or five episodes record before I actually started watching it.

The commercials were intriguing to me because I felt I might REALLY identify with the character.  But the whole show was intimidating to me BECAUSE I might one day identify with the character.

I do enjoy the show though - and the relationships it portrays, and the cast.  SO - pay attention all you TV execs - I like this show (that's like the kiss of death for a TV show, if I like it the show doesn't go past one season - if my husband discovers it, it's a hit a la Breaking Bad).

As I watch the show, I try and just enjoy the show for the show's sake but once or twice an episode my brain tells itself to make a mental note about a feeling or a situation the character goes through.  The character has leukemia.  They talk about "cancer perks" just like the book The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  As much as I like free stuff - I would rather not get cancer perks.

I really don't think I'm a hypochondriac nor am I one of those people who hears of an ailment and tries to make it theirs - but neither do I want to stick my head in the sand and think it can't happen to me. 

So, in the middle of my Chasing Life binging (6 episodes in a week) I finally got around to getting some lab results that I'd done in April to my doctor.  I didn't think it was a big deal because I'd done some in March that were doctor ordered.  Then my employer offered free tests in April so I did that one too - anxious to see if the Garcinia Cambogia I was trying out made a difference (it didn't).  BUT - apparently the employer tested things the doctor didn't.  The nurse called and said my platelets were low and they sent me orders to do more labs in 3 months - specifically to check platelets.  I fluffed it off for less than 24 hours then I took to the internet to see what low platelets could mean.  Well, it could mean a lot of things - including leukemia. 

As much as I want the next three years to be slow and drug out - I'm a little anxious for three months to pass so I can re-test.

No comments:

Post a Comment