Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Causing Emotional Pain to our Loved Ones

I'm currently listening to Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen for my book club.  Surprisingly it is very different from another book of hers I listened to, Every Last One.  Instead it is more like something written by Fannie Flagg.  Anyway, in this book the main character is a 60 year old woman and one of the sub-plots is about her mother in a nursing home suffering from dementia.  The family members feel frustrated and hurt when they go to visit the old woman and she doesn't even recognize them.  I can totally relate to that since my own mother starved herself to death due to dementia only a few years ago.  When I heard the audio book I wasn't sad for what I lost, but sad for how I might hurt my own children one day (if I survive 7/12/17).

Another character in the book says his mother died when he was 18 and the main character wonders which is better - to lose them too soon or too late.  That is something I hope we debate in book club.
Obviously it would seem like too late is better because at least you can use the time in between to build memories.  Which reinforces for me my thoughts of last week about making this year's birthday more special and specifically seeking to create memories for my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment