Tuesday, March 29, 2016

I Hear You, Kids

Soon after I had the big dream I shared it with my older kids.  Already in their 20's and having lost their father in elementary school, as well as having discussed dreams with me on multiple occasions, I thought it would be wise to tell them in person before they found out via this blog.

A couple months ago, just after the New Year, I took them grocery shopping to encourage them in healthier eating choices and my older son randomly spouted that I was not going to die anytime soon.  It was clear to me that this was no time for discussion of the possibility because he was obviously and willfully in denial.

Just last week my daughter told me about the mother of her best friend in elementary school.  Apparently she had gotten divorced and then got really sick and her sister had to pay her medical bills.  I said I'd pray for the lady.  The next day my daughter told me the lady had died, within an hour of us having had that conversation.  She went on to say how sad it must be for her former friend to lose her mom at a time like this.  A time when life is just beginning for a young woman, not yet married, hasn't had a baby yet.  Those times when a young woman will want and need her mother.

Verbally I was agreeing and expressing sadness/empathy/regret - but internally I was screaming, "Don't you read my blog?!"  My own daughter might lose her mother in just 16 months.  And she's not fully settled into life yet either.

It seems like there is never a good time to die young.  And on the opposite side there are some older people that seem to hang on to life well beyond the time it is practical - well beyond the time it has stopped being enjoyable for them and they have long ago stopped making any contributions (that we can see anyway).

God's plan is bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment