Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Apple Cider Vinegar

If I were Oprah and she still made her list of the best Christmas gifts and then gave them all to her audience, I would include a super large bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar, raw, natural, unfiltered and "with the mother".  This is my new favorite product, right next to Simply Balanced from Target Organic Green Mint Tea.

A few months ago I noticed that any time I consumed a dairy product I would feel like my breath was bad, even after I brushed my teeth.  So I poked around on the internet and decided to try two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 16 ounces of water, daily.  It took some getting used to but now I find it very enjoyable and refreshing at the end of the day.  And, it improved my breath.

I also think it improved my skin.  I've always had bad skin, which I now know is because of the Gilbert syndrome which prevents my liver from processing toxins properly.  So I get a lot of "blemishes" on  my face.  Well, not as many as a teenager but when you are in your mid-40s even one is too many and highly embarrassing.  Since I started ACV though I have had much better skin.

I've also read that ACV works like a pro-biotic and I have some friends that also drink a daily dose for the health benefits.  They just do it like a shot of liquor because they don't like the taste.  My little boy was complaining about his pro-biotic tablet so I offered him the option of drinking ACV and started him on a VERY watered down dose but he decided the tablet was better.

Then I made maybe the greatest discovery of all for ACV.  I invented it on my own after I started having deodorant issues.  It seemed like my deodorant had suddenly stopped working.  Being a couponer I have several other sticks of deodorant in my stockpile but when I looked at them, all five brands had the same active ingredient as the one I had been using.   I really didn't relish the idea of going to the store and searching the aisle to find a different active ingredient so I went to the internet to see what other people recommended.  I thought maybe the problem stemmed from the new cholesterol medicine I'd recently switched to.  Not so.  I discovered that this problem is not uncommon - it is a problem of the deodorant reacting with the bacteria under my arm and causing the smell.  I grabbed onto the word "bacteria".  I thought maybe the problem began last time I got a new bar of soap (Ivory) because it is a brand known for being very mild.  I had a random bar of Dial soap so I started using that and noticed a slight improvement.  I would like to search out an anti-bacterial soap.  However, before I got to the store I heard a comedienne talking about how people were using ACV for EVERYTHING!!!  So, one evening as I was mixing ACV into my dinner water I thought - why not, I splashed some under my arms.  A few hours later I noted it was better!  I put more on at bed time and in the morning it was great.  My husband always turns up his nose when I open the bottle to mix my water for dinner, but he didn't even complain about the smell at bed time.

The first couple of days I showered with Dial, rubbed on ACV and then when it dried put on deodorant.  During the weekend I experimented and used only ACV.  I did have to re-apply after the pool but I would re-apply normal deodorant too after a swim.  On Monday I was so confident I used only ACV to go to work.  By Thursday I thought maybe the almost week-long break would be enough and I tried D.O. again - worse.  So for two weeks I used only ACV under my arms.
Admittedly it doesn't smell powder fresh but it also doesn't stink.  Obviously powder fresh would be the best choice but if that's not happening then I'll take neutral of stink.  After several weeks it started to be less effective so I switched back to deodorant but obviously the break and the ACV was helpful and I would do it again if the problem should re-occur in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment