Thursday, June 26, 2014

An Imperial Affliction

The other day I was at the pool, enjoying a nice breeze on a summer day, watching my 8 year old do the water slides - OH MY GOSH, I suddenly notice that big freckle on my leg has undergone a significant change.  It's doubled in size, it's darker, it's not a uniform shape - OH MY GOSH, this is it, this is the beginning, I have cancer in my leg, it's probably gone down to the bone, OKAY, OKAY, I said I'd rather lose a limb than have cancer.  So I'll just go full on attack, just take off the leg, no chemo for me, no chance of radiation not getting it all, I'll learn to live with a prosthetic, I wonder how much time I'll have to take off work.  I lean in for a closer look - oh, it's a leaf or something, it brushes right off - crisis averted (for now).

To be fair - I am currently reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and one of the main characters did lose a leg to cancer.

I worried about myself reading this book - but it was a book club selection so I obligate myself.
(Interested in my book reviews or book club info - see www.bedtimebookreview.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment