Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Bucket Lists

My 8 year old heard a musical ice cream truck for the first time the other day and he said, "Now that's one thing I can cross off my bucket list."  I chuckled at the idea of an 8 year old having a bucket list but thought it was a pretty great moment to share with him - hearing his first ice cream truck.  (Almost as good as eating ice cream with him.)

Later that day we went to the library.  On the way out I was thinking of all the books I have on my shelf, and all the additional books I have on my "booket" list and felt a momentary panic at the thought that I wouldn't be able to read them all before I die.  Even if I still have 50 years on this earth, it is unrealistic to think I would ever read them all.  Especially because I add to it at a greater rate than I subtract from it.

Then I chuckled at myself.  It's all pretty ludicrous.  I read as a pass-time.  I like the escape it gives me.
Escape from what?  That's the thing.  I'm generally happy with my life - so why do I want to escape it?  
But isn't that what any hobby is?  Whether it is losing yourself in music, or crafts, or volunteering (okay, that does make the world a better place) or flying model helicopters, or following a sports team, or whatever - it is all a pass-time, an escape from the mundane.  Even watching TV transports you into someone else's life or some other alternate reality.

And it all fills our time until we really do escape this world.  Whether or not I read all the books on my list, there will come a day when I will get off this planet.  And I will leave behind books unread, recipes untried, words unsaid, vistas unseen, blogs unt....















JUST KIDDING - I'm still here, at least until July 12, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment