Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Road Not Taken

14 years ago Yesterday my life changed dramatically.  I was married with 2 kids, a dog, 2 cars in the garage of a nice house, a good job, etc. when all of a sudden I wasn't married anymore but instead a widow - single mom of 2 young children with no alternating weekends off.

I remember a few days after the funeral I stood up in front of my church family and said "I can't wait to see what God has planned for us next".  Even as the words left my mouth it all felt a little surreal and my brain wondered if it wasn't somehow irreverent (to God or my late husband).  But I felt like I had been on a good path before and my faith was strong enough to believe I was still on a good path - just a different path.

Many times through the years I have wondered what my life would be like now if I had been allowed to stay on my original path.  Sometimes I feel like I've traveled on two or three or more paths since leaving that first one.  The first change of direction was a big jolt, but the subsequent ones have been easier to bear - sometimes I didn't even notice the fork in the road.

Whatever 7/12/17 holds for me, I believe it will be a drastic, journey-shifting change.  I don't have a GPS for the roads of life, but I feel like I'm getting pretty good at navigating them.  I pray that I can be as eager to see how this new journey goes as I was 14 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment