Wednesday, March 19, 2014

False End of the World Claims

In my lifetime I have seen several false end of the world claims.  Like the California cult (Heaven's Gate, was it?) or the supposed Mayan Calendar experts who predict a day the world will end and it comes and goes with nary an earthquake.

If I am called to speak out about this date, if my platform is expanded, maybe that will be the journey I don't want to go on.  Because after other false predictions, any subsequent prediction is automatically met with a certain amount of skepticism.  In fact, if there had ever been a successful prediction then we wouldn't be here now.  I would not welcome the criticism and ridicule.  I don't mind a respectful, healthy conversation but I certainly don't want to be laughed at or spoken cruelly of.

And what if nothing happens?   What if I don't die?  Will I be let down?  No.

Because there is not an alternate universe where I can run a control group and see what would happen if I didn't receive the dream.  What if receiving the dream causes me to make different choices on that day and unknowingly save my life?  What if by staying home in the evening I avoid a fatal car crash?   These are answers which I know I'll never know.  And I'm okay with that.  Just knowing that I'm living a faithful life and trying to follow directions as best I can is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment