Tuesday, April 19, 2016

What Causes Things

It seems like in the last couple of decades there has been a rise in cancer and autism - among other things.  I remember when my older kids were in elementary school in the early '90s I often said to myself, after seeing how early the girls were developing, that it must be something in the milk.  Years later several people (family and close friends) suggested that my youngest child showed early signs of autism.  I read Jenny McCarthy's book about her journey with her autistic son and how strongly she felt that changing his diet made a big difference to his condition.

So I took gluten and caesin out of my young one's diet.  It really wasn't as hard as it sounds thanks to modern online resources.  Eight years later he is a great student but still a little quirky.  I'll never know for sure if changing the diet made a difference since there was no control group.  But I believe it did.

I've also seen the documentary Food, Inc. which changed the way I buy food.  Turns out there really was something in the milk!  And the chickens, and lots of other food sources.  I'm not committed enough to go organic - although I'm getting there.  But for the last several years I have been buying only meat that is hormone and antibiotic free.  Right away we could taste a difference  And we're starting to prefer produce that is locally grown without pesticides.

While I've not yet heard of a direct link between cancer and the things in our food source - I have hope that my small actions and changes are helping my family decrease their chances of contracting that nasty disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment