Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Prognosis

I heard an interesting discussion on the radio - a medical talk channel I've recently tuned in on XM radio.  A caller said that when her father was diagnosed with Alzheimers she was able to find a special type of therapist who told them about the seven levels of the disease and what to expect in each one and they provided an assessment of what stage her father was currently in.  She found it very helpful and wanted to let others know it was a possibility.

The two doctors felt that most people would not want to know.  One indicated that it was also available for Dementia patients too.  I wish I had known!  When my mom was suffering from Dementia it seemed like it all happened so fast, especially the end.  I think I would have appreciated knowing how close we were.  I might have been more prepared or had a different focus and made different choices.

The doctors also said that years ago it was common practice to give a prognosis of the likely amount of time left for a terminal patient but now there has been a shift and doctors are told not to take hope away from the patient.  I've heard this philosophy along the lines of the power of positive thinking.  I definitely believe in positive thinking but I think it is unwise to stick our heads in the sand.  

I'd rather be told I have six months and make a personal resolution to beat it and prove them wrong and look at every day past that as a gift.  On the other hand I do like the commercial for The Cancer Treatment Center of America that says, "none of us comes with an expiration date."

No comments:

Post a Comment