Tuesday, September 15, 2015

More Reading

A few weeks ago I posted about a book I was reading called "Dying to be Me" by Anita Moorjani.  The main point of her story about a Near Death Experience (some would say she crossed over and came back) while she was battling cancer was that, in her opinion, FEAR was the cause of her cancer.
Hmmm, that is certainly food for thought considering that I've said several times on this blog that cancer is the thing I fear most in the world.

The author's viewpoint is that she grew up "fearing failing, being disliked, letting people down, and not being good enough" (p. 132) and all that fear caused her cancer.  OK, so I'm ahead of the game a little bit.  I don't doubt myself.  I learned early on how to be completely happy with who I am.  A birth defect will do that for you.  A cleft palate at birth left my lip deformed by a scar.  Children frequently made fun of me growing up so I adopted the attitude that if they didn't want to get to know me just because I had a scar on my lip then they weren't someone I wanted to know anyway.

So I know I'm not too hard on myself, but I do pledge to be less afraid of death by cancer.  I will try to refocus my thoughts about July 12, 2017 as a day of opportunity and new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment