Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Trapped Inside this Mind

When I became a stay-at-home mom I had this idea that I was going to be more spontaneous and just go with the flow of life.  Truth is - I'm a planner.  So far I have not been successful in planning to be spontaneous.

We ere at the park today - 68 degrees, overcast, mid-March.  There's a splash pad at the park (where the water comes up out of the concrete like a built in sprinkler to run through).  Several children get completely soaked.  I made it clear to my kid that he is not to get wet.  The kids he was playing with got wet and he had to sit on the sideline.

As I watch him and try not to feel guilty or let my mommy-heart break for him, I wonder why the other parents think this is a good idea - or did the kids not ask.  I prepare myself for the possibility that my kid may get wet and try to plan a reaction that is not over-the-top furious.  At the same time I'm thinking we have no towel, and how much dirt and mulch would his wet clothes attract, and how much mess would it make in the car on the way home, and what about those old wives tales that a kid could catch their death getting wet in the cool air.

Sometimes I want to let go of the what-ifs, especially given the inspiration for this blog - life is short, my time is limited.  At the same time I think, life is too short for me to spend it cleaning up extra messes.

No comments:

Post a Comment