Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Mom, can you make me a hat?

On a Saturday morning I was waking up with my coffee and my son asked if I would play a game with him.  Having nothing on the schedule for that day I told him we'd play later.  Then I checked my email and found out that on Monday my son's 3rd grade class would celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday by having Silly Hat day.  I said to my son, "Great, you can just wear one of Dad's welding caps like you did last time it was Silly Hat day."  He looked at me and, with a voice as small as Cindy Lou Who's said, "Can you make me a Cat in the Hat hat."  Well, how could I say no to that.

I googled and thought, decided to knit, then to not.
I wound up making a hat out of felt and it turned out super awesome!



This is the kind of thing, as a Mom, I want to be remembered for.

When I was in 6th grade we moved from San Antonio to a small town in West Texas.
We only lived there for one year and I didn't have a lot of friends that year.
As an adult, I had a conversation with my Mom and she casually mentioned something about when she had been my Girl Scout leader.  I had no memory of her being my leader.  She said it had been my 6th grade year.  I was a leader for my daughters troop for two years and I know it's a lot of work.  I felt horrible that I didn't remember my mom being my leader.  (I'm actually thinking maybe I was somehow a troop of one that year and she just managed my independent study or something.)  

Years from now, when I'm gone, I want my son to remember the day I made him a hat.  I want him to have lots of memories like that and to know, through those memories, that he was loved.  Even though it was also the day I said I'd play a game with him and never did.  At bedtime I apologized that we never got to play a game but pointed out that he had an awesome hat - and he agreed with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment