Tuesday, April 18, 2017

What to look forward to...

My mother-in-law is advanced in age and diminished in mental capacity.  For a few years now we wonder if every holiday will be the last and try to make an effort to get the family together, gathered around her.  This year she's declined to the point that she's being cared for in a facility - a fact that grieves her children.  So we brought her out to our house for Easter along with some of the in-laws.

Sadly, it seems the facility over-medicated her and she dozed through most of the day.  Even still, not a bad visit and we did get a nice picture for posterity.  But getting her back in the car was another story.  Logic has left her and the idea of rising from her wheelchair, pivoting, and sitting in the car was overwhelming.  Even as an observer it felt quite traumatic.  At one point my brother-in-law, who is probably 20 years older than I am, looked at me and voiced the thought that was screaming through my head, "Is this what we have to look forward to?"

I know there are many people of advanced age in very similar situations.  I look at them and think I would much prefer an early exit than surviving so long that living becomes merely existing.  In that regard, and only that regard, 7/12/17 is not looking so bad.  Although, if I had a choice I'd vote for something more along the lines of 7/12/37.

No comments:

Post a Comment