Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Another Near Miss

When I went for a regular check-up recently, the same time my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic, he suggested I get a baseline scan of my thyroid.  I've been taking thyroid medicine since I was 12 but to my knowledge had never had a scan.  My church was offering a preventive scan which we had already signed up for - GREAT!  Results came back that I had a mass on my thyroid.  Very normal according to Google but let's get a sonogram with measurements to be sure.  By now it is the beginning of Christmas break and since I am off work I'm eager to get it all done.  Sonogram determined the mass was 11 mm.  10 mm is okay, 11 mm is not so let's get a biopsy.  That was an interesting experience.  During this time I had a dream about black pebbles in a throat.  Certain that I have thyroid cancer even though intellectually I know it is still unlikely, I'm eager to get the results.  Thanks to the beaurocracy known as HIPPA I couldn't be told the results over the phone and had to wait until the follow up appointment.  Turns out all is well.  Another scare, another near miss.  Breathing a little easier, I still await the mystery of July 12, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment