Wednesday, December 7, 2016

My Last Meal (f.u. to Life Insurance)

For a couple of years now I've said that I hope to have a nice lunch with my older children on July 12, 2017.  Usually I envision that happening at La Madeline.  Sometimes I consider the possibility / irony that I'd have a fatal car accident on the way to lunch.

Why I think of La Madeline for this occasion I don't know.  I go there infrequently but I always enjoy its casual but quiet and comforting environment.  

The other day I was reading a restaurant guide for San Antonio describing the local newspaper's top picks.  One of them was the Brazilian Steakhouse - Chama Gaucha.  I've known this restaurant was in town for over a decade but I've never been there.  Much as I would love the Brazilian environment, I am just not the type to pay $50 per person for a meal.    

There are a couple of other similar restaurants in town.  Even before Chama Gaucha arrived there was a smaller, less-marketed restaurant.  One day when I was still a single parent my mom gave me an envelope on Mother's Day that had cash in it with a designation that I take myself and my kids to eat at that Brazilian Steakhouse.  (Oddly - recalling that now that my mother is 3 years gone brings more tears to my eyes than it did at the moment.)

Back to reading the guide book though - it was then I decided that my potential last meal will be at a Brazilian Steakhouse.  If I die before I receive the credit card bill for the meal - then my estate can pay it and it won't bother me one bit.  If I'm still alive when I receive the credit card bill - then I'll see it as one more opportunity to praise God for life.  And since I won't be paying life insurance premiums anymore (see post October 19) - I'll have a few spare extra dollars to pay the bill. 


No comments:

Post a Comment