Wednesday, August 3, 2016

A Tough Day

About 18 months ago I decided I wanted to be a teacher.  I signed up for a certification program, passed all the requirements, and began looking for a job.  Summer is the biggest time to seek employment as a teacher.  I went through the first summer and applied for the jobs I was eligible for but only got one interview and not hired.

Over the next school year I attained an additional certification so I'd be more marketable.  I had a principal who wanted to hire me but the position required an additional certification - so I got it too.  But then I found out I was ineligible for the part-time position because as a first year teacher I would need to be employed full time.  

It was now a couple weeks into June so I started applying for jobs like crazy.  I have applied for close to 70 teaching jobs. 20 of those were "internal" in the current district I was working in but none of them called me for an interview, in spite of all the recommended politicking.  I have only recently been called for two interviews.  Interestingly they were both for the most recent certification I obtained (for the part time position).

Yesterday I found out that both of those positions chose someone else.  Later that day I went to turn in my iPad, badge and keys in the district I've worked in for three years.  I'm moving to a different district that offered me a higher salary for less working hours (in addition to being a little closer to home).  I genuinely LIKED that district and the town and ALL the people I worked with.  (I expect to like my new district just as much and it is my hope that they will value internal applicants more and thus make my transition to teaching a little easier - but right now that is all an unknown.) 

Point is, yesterday was a sad day for me.  It was a down day.  I don't have many of them.  I shed more than a few tears.  (A few are escaping right now as I recount the day.)  As I was driving around this little town that I love for what will likely be the last time in a long while, I wanted to call someone and share my sadness.  I called my daughter, but she was unavailable.  I do have some friends but none of them that I call on the phone and commiserate with.  And even so they were all at work.

I REALLY wanted to call my mother.  She died almost three years ago.  Even many months before she died I had experienced the loss of not being able to call her on the phone because dimentia made meaningful conversation difficult.  It was sort of a warm up for losing her completely so in some ways it made her death easier.  Until yesterday.

And in the midst of all that sadness and self-pity party of which no amount of plattitudes could pull me out, it occurred to me that in less than a year my daughter might be mssing talking to me on the phone.

Although lately I'm becoming more and more convinced that 7/12/17 is going to be the day I finally fet hired as a teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment