Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Quoting Mark Twain

Yesterday as I was driving I heard on the radio a quote from Mark Twain.  I really liked it and thought I would write a blog about it.  I didn't try to memorize it because I figured I could just google Mark Twain quotes and find it with no problem.  Hours later I tried and found 60 pages of quotes on goodreads.com.  It would help if I could remember the basic subject of the quote but I couldn't.  So I started reading though them and realized I like a lot of Mark Twain quotes, which is odd because I really don't like his novels at all.  After reading even more quotes of his I suspect he'd have something to say about that juxtaposition.  Anyway, here are a few of my favorites:

“Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” 

“A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.”

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” 

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”

“Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.”

“God created war so that Americans would learn geography.”

Apparently he had some views on religion, education and politicians which he didn't hesitate to share.  It seems like his words would have created quite a scandal in his time, much like Donald Trump does today.  If I could shuffle the order of people I would put those two together on one stage and see what ensued.  As Twain said, "“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

No comments:

Post a Comment