Monday, February 22, 2016

Stockpiling Blankets

I have a large walk-in closet and recently I noticed how many blankets I have stashed around in there.

     1.  a blue fuzzy one that my mom bought for me on a trip across the Mexican border back in the 80s.  There is some sort of flower design on it and the backside is the negative of the front.  It was my bedspread for a lot of years.

     2.  a multicolored crocheted afghan that my grandma made for me.  There were two things that she gave each grandchild: an afghan and an embroidered zodiac.  It was like a rite of passage.  I've long since disposed of the zodiac.

     3.  another afghan made by my grandmother that I selected from her home after she passed away and was in my daughter's room for a lot of years

     4.  a queen sized white loose-weave cotton blanket that reminds me of one my great-aunt used to have

     5.  a simple white quilt that was in my mom's guest room

If I had to get rid of one it would be a very hard decision.  When I look at them they spark an emotion of comfort.

These are in addition to my two favorite blankets that perch around the living room waiting to be used at any time - a brown fleece and also a brown angel w/ the same sort of negative pattern.  The fleece one I acquired from my mother's collection after she passed away - I like it because it is big and soft and brown is my favorite color.  I can't quite recall how I got the angel one - maybe my kids picked it out for me, or it was a gift exchange - for a time I was really into angels as decorations.  Sometimes it is a little too small but usually it is sufficient.  

If I ever get into a health crisis where I spend a lot of time laying around recovering - I'll definitely have plenty of blankets to be comforted by.

No comments:

Post a Comment