Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Puking at the Pole

Overall I'm a pretty healthy person.  (Really hoping I don't jinx myself here.)  I keep a steady dose of Vitamin C and Probiotics, if I have to interact with someone sick I wash my hands with soap immediately after - but I'm  not a germophobe.  I used to know someone who was hyper-vigilant about germs and her kids were frequently sick.  I've read, and I believe, that if you live too germ-free your body doesn't learn to fight them off.

So the other night we went with some friends and our kids to the North Pole Village.  On the way there I said to my husband, my tummy feels weird.  It was our first time but the other family had been their before and the kids were talking about their memories from previous years.  Soon after we arrived at the North Pole I told my husband I needed a bottle of water and a peppermint (because I've heard it settles the stomach).  Oddly, the peppermint was difficult to procure but the water was a relief.  Not long after that I made a path to the bathroom and threw up.  I cannot remember the last time I had that experience.  I think it's been more than a decade.  45 minutes later I went back for a repeat performance.

But what do you do when you are all the way at the "North Pole" and four kids are having a good time.  You stick it out.  

An hour later we gathered a couple of plastic bags and headed back to civilization.  As I was fighting back the urge to puke for the third time and praying to God that I not vomit in a car full of kids I wretched before I could even say Amen.  The driver pulled over and I got out and amazingly lost more of my stomach contents than I even thought possible by that time.  What was more horrifying though was that the kids were adding this to the memories of the event.  I can just hear them in the car next year:  remember the time that old man sang karaoke, remember the time I got that stuffed animal, remember the time our friend's mom got sick.

Two hours later, in the comfort of my own bathroom, I threw up yet again.  For a brief moment I seriously thought death would be better.  And then I thought what a wimp I am!  I thought of my friend who is fighting cancer, losing hair, posting pictures of her radiation mask.  I had to ask my husband what the mask was and he explained how they put it over your head and then screw it to a board so you can't move during the procedure.  I cannot imagine how torturous that feels.  And yet she praises God and finds beauty and miracles all around her.  

If I ever do get really sick, cancer sick, I'm going to have to dig VERY deep for strength and perseverance.  


No comments:

Post a Comment