Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Pre-paid Obits

You can pre-pay a cell phone and pre-pay your kids college fund - why not pre-paid obituaries.
Lock in now at the cheaper rate and go for the full package!

I know from experience that obituaries are expensive.  At a time when there are other expenses, often unexpected, all necessary, it is understandable that people trim down the obituary.

This past weekend I saw an obituary for somebody I might have known.  If it is the person I knew, I knew them in 1987 and 1988.  I never saw them again but often wondered about them.  They were a very nice person who left a lasting impression on me.  

I knew him as Bobby.  The obituary said Robert.  Same last name although it is a common one.
I'm not good at facial recognition.  Especially when it's been 28 years and the photo in the paper is much more current than my memory.  So I looked for life details.  There was info on the most recent job and that he managed an unnamed restaurant for 13 years.  

But there was no mention of his high school which I might have remembered - but again, common name.  Or how about the interesting fact that he was a Rotary Exchange Student and went to Brazil.  I know not everyone who is an exchange student has the same experience - but for me it has definitely shaped my life.  I might even say the experience of living abroad has defined a large part of my life.  It changed the way I view people and situations.  It enabled me to get jobs I never would have gotten otherwise.  It taught me to dance a little more freely, love a little more openly, and that black clothes are not just for mourning.

Take note whoever writes my obituary:  Include the details!  Fork over the cash - it's the last gift you'll give me.  Skimp on the casket, I won't feel the extra cushion.  I doubt anyone in attendance can recognize a $3000 casket from a $1000 casket.  Really, it's not like I need gold inlay.  I want people to read my obituary and feel sorry that they missed knowing me.  Show those soccer moms who thought I was too old or too uncool that it really was their loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment