Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Death by Twitter

A few months ago I read in a Dear Abby column or something similar about someone who found it offensive that someone else was tweeting about their loved one dying.  Abby (or whoever) explained that this is yet another sign of the times and that, within reason, it should not be offending.  She cautioned that it is probably best not to send pictures and, if at all possible, get the permission of the one who is dying, but otherwise it is socially acceptable.

So that set me to wondering if anyone will tweet of my last days.  I hope they do.  Not intimate details but at least prayer requests along with general status updates.  I have only a handful of Twitter followers on my book review twitter handle @BedTimeBookRevw but I'm sure my kids have a lot of followers.  I'm sure in those moments I will be comforted greatly by the prayers that might be sent up as a result of a Tweet.  Although, given that this will occur in at least 2 1/2 years society may well be onto something new and Twitter may be a distant memory.

Hmmm, if I were super-technically inclined I might even create just the app or site that exists for the sole purpose of updating subscribers to one's medical status.  That way the happy social sites aren't made gloomy by death and dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment