Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Recommended Reading

My friend whose words I borrowed last week recommended a book called "Dying To Be Me" by Anita Moorjani.  The second time she recommended it to me, months apart, I thought I'd better just go ahead and read the book because it obviously left a strong impression on her.

The author was dying of cancer and had a Near Death Experience but then came back and now tells everyone how she beat cancer by changing her attitude and outlook.  At least, that's the gist I've got so far, but I'm not quite half way through.

I did find a passage on page 43 to be speaking straight to me though and because of that connection I am more into the book.

Mrs. Moorjani had a friend and a brother-in-law die of cancer within a few months of each other.  She says, "This news instilled a deep fear in me because both of them were close to my age.  I began researching everything I could about cancer and its causes.  Initially, I started doing this in the hope of helping, because I wanted to be there for Soni, to help her fight.  But I found that the more I read about the disease, the more I was afraid of everything that could potentially cause it.  I started to believe that everything created cancer - pesticides, microwaves, preservatives, genetically modified foods, sunshine, air pollution, plastic food containers, mobile phones, and so on.  This progressed until eventually, I started to fear life itself."

Over the past year or so I have done internet "research" regarding a liver condition I have (Gilbert's syndrome) and, unrelated, autism - among other things.  I have found reason to blame pesticides, preservatives, GMOs, antibiotics in meat, the combination of plastic food containers and microwaves, and other random toxins.  So I could really relate to the author - which always makes a book more enjoyable (not that the subject is enjoyable, but relatable is good nonetheless).

Thankfully I am not yet scared of life and don't think I'll get to that point.  But I have changed a lot of the ways I do life.  I've changed the meat I eat, the way I use the microwave, the way I store food, the way I look at soaps and food and beverages.  Yes, I'll still eat at McDonald's and enjoy a Dr. Pepper, but not with the frequency that I used to.

Back to the reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment